Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Yes Si Oui

So I recently read this book called the "Yes Man" (yes, like the movie) by Danny Wallace. It's an amazing read; very inspiring, very funny, and most importantly, honest. You can buy it here (http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Man-Danny-Wallace/dp/1416900667) or just ask me, I'll let you borrow it! (: I thought I would pull some passages from it to share on my blog. The book itself is about saying Yes more and giving everything a chance..being open minded to all the possibilities (good and bad) that life throws at us. I have learned while at Stephens that all kinds of things will happen to you, most of which you never saw coming, and they shape you into who are and who you are going to be and how you react to these things will determine how your life pans out.
No, I don't go out every weekend, because I either have homework or don't have the money and sometimes I just plain ol' do not want to go out. My weeks are hectic and busy and I don't feel like going out and pretending to have a good time around people I barely know, some of which I don't even like! But then I wonder, what am I missing out on? What would fate lead me to if I had gone out? The man in the book goes through a rough break-up and for quite awhile afterwards just wants to stay in and sulk (been there!). But then he begins to wonder, what if I never go out? What if I never have any stories to tell my children and grandchildren? What if I never have children?
"Saying yes more would get me out of this rut. It would rekindle my love for life. It would bring back the old me. The me that had died a little the day I had been dumped. I just needed a little kickstart. A little fun. A chance to live in a completely different way." So, will I say yes to more things? Yes, I think I will. Will I go out all the time, probably not. (Sorry again, VGabs) I do need to be realistic. I know if I do nothing homework-related all weekend then I will be unprepared for the week and be more stressed out instead of less.
Also, the character in the book eventually meets some monks-long story-and learns that every opportunity, good or bad, should be seen as a chance to learn. If something bad happens then sure, it sucks. But now you'll be more prepared for next time, or realize what not do next time. It's kind of like going on a date. Even if it sucks, at least you know what to do or not to do next time, that he's really not for you, and hopefully you'll have a funny story to tell your friends later. And it's not necessarily bad to reflect on these bad times, that's how you learn and how you heal from them. Don't let the past consume you, life's too short for that. "We can learn from just accepting the way we are rather than being attached to the way we'd like to be."

So there's a lot more from this book I would like to post, but that will be next week. (: Right now I have to go to class to learn how to be an awesome event planner (more awesome than I already am now, of course). I hope you enjoyed reading this and will come back to read the next one too!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment